E-Scape and Scrap

Forum of the shop


You are not connected. Please login or register

Saving PU papers

Post new topic  Reply to topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Saving PU papers on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:14 am

Guest


Guest
Hi Ladies

I was wondering how high a resolution do you save your papers in, for your PU kits?

2 Resolution for Papers on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:14 am

Guest


Guest
300 psi is the industry standard suitable for printing, Sus.

3 Re: Saving PU papers on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:17 am

Guest


Guest
Kay E wrote:300 psi is the industry standard suitable for printing, Sus.

I know, but do you save as 8,9,10 or 12?

4 Re: Saving PU papers on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:07 am

Guest


Guest
Sus wrote:
Kay E wrote:300 psi is the industry standard suitable for printing, Sus.

I know, but do you save as 8,9,10 or 12?

You're talking specifically about the PS dialog box you get when you save .JPG files - the JPEG Options dialog box for the Image Quality of the save.

I always use an image quality of 10 and set the Format Option to Baseline ("Standard").

There is no need to use a higher quality for what we do as a setting of 12 makes the file sizes much too large and the difference in quality between 10 and 12 is not enough to really make a difference in print.

HTH. :-)

5 Re: Saving PU papers on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 am

Guest


Guest
Rose Thorn wrote:
You're talking specifically about the PS dialog box you get when you save .JPG files - the JPEG Options dialog box for the Image Quality of the save.

I always use an image quality of 10 and set the Format Option to Baseline ("Standard").

There is no need to use a higher quality for what we do as a setting of 12 makes the file sizes much too large and the difference in quality between 10 and 12 is not enough to really make a difference in print.

HTH. :-)

Yes that was exactly what I was trying to say, but I just couldn´t find the right words Mad But thank you for your answer Very Happy

6 Re: Saving PU papers on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Guest


Guest
Sus wrote:Yes that was exactly what I was trying to say, but I just couldn´t find the right words Mad But thank you for your answer Very Happy

You're welcome; hope it helped. Smile

7 Re: Saving PU papers on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Guest


Guest
Rose Thorn wrote:
Sus wrote:Yes that was exactly what I was trying to say, but I just couldn´t find the right words Mad But thank you for your answer Very Happy

You're welcome; hope it helped. Smile

It did Very Happy

8 Re: Saving PU papers on Sun May 01, 2011 11:05 pm

coppercurls

avatar
You might check the actual mega bite size after you've saved the paper. On a Mac it shows what size it will be as you are saving it and sometimes even with a setting of 1 it can be over 1Mb. It depends on the texture and amount of colors and who knows what else of the paper. I know I hate to download a kit with papers that are large. sometimes I've even resized them just to save space.

http://web.me.com/rhardegree/Coppercurls_Digi-Life/Home_Page.htm

9 Re: Saving PU papers on Tue May 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Guest


Guest
I always use the setting of 8, upon the advise and recommendation of a store owner. She said there was no visible difference from 8 on up. I always have my kits QC'd and they have always passed, so I assume 8 is satisfactory. Anyone else use 8?

10 Re: Saving PU papers on Tue May 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Guest


Guest
Karen S wrote:I always use the setting of 8, upon the advise and recommendation of a store owner. She said there was no visible difference from 8 on up. I always have my kits QC'd and they have always passed, so I assume 8 is satisfactory. Anyone else use 8?

I think the 'visible' difference would be when you use it for print work. We may be creating 'digital' products but we are creating them with a resolution of 300ppi for the specific purpose of providing our customers with good print quality.

The very nature of the JPG file format is such that there is quality loss in the file's compression, so, when we reduce the image quality further when saving our files, we risk creating images that are not as clear or sharp or vibrant as they were originally created.

I guess we each must choose between the physical file sizes (how much space they'll take on a hard drive) and their quality level.

11 Re: Saving PU papers on Tue May 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Guest


Guest
Thanks for that, Rose. I wasn't clear. I was told that saving at 8 quality does not make any visible difference in digital OR print quality. But my color printer isn't the greatest, as I typically don't print things out myself, so in truth I haven't tried it myself. But then I've not have any comments about things not being right either. Does anyone else want to weigh in on this? What you have found or been advised? Any differences you've found? I'm not worried about size or space really. I am simply concerned about giving the best product possible.

12 Re: Saving PU papers on Tue May 03, 2011 10:38 pm

coppercurls

avatar
I think I'll run a test print of 1" strips of some of my papers I've done just to see how they look. I do have a good printer. so it should be a good test.

http://web.me.com/rhardegree/Coppercurls_Digi-Life/Home_Page.htm

13 Re: Saving PU papers on Tue May 03, 2011 11:22 pm

Guest


Guest
Great idea, Roxie. Thanks for taking the time.

14 Re: Saving PU papers on Tue May 03, 2011 11:51 pm

Guest


Guest
Thanks for all the inputs I appreciate it Very Happy

15 Re: Saving PU papers on Wed May 04, 2011 8:09 am

Guest


Guest
coppercurls wrote:I think I'll run a test print of 1" strips of some of my papers I've done just to see how they look. I do have a good printer. so it should be a good test.

I just want to point out that even if you have a good printer, your test will only be able to show you the differences for you. Every printer is different and, depending upon the type and weight of paper you use, the ink that's used, whether or not you have a laser printer or an ink jet printer, difference results are obtained. The same with sending it out to printing places like Winkflash, Snapfish, Blurb, etc. or even WalMart, Walgreens, Costco... you'll get different between them as well.

Although it's likely the average digital scrapbooker will not be doing a lot of printing nor will they necessarily be aware of the quality differences when they do, there are some who do/will and since I personally care about those things, I use the higher compression amount to provide, so to speak, a happy medium - files that are excessively large in physical size yet are of a quality that I know will produce good print results in most situations.

16 Re: Saving PU papers on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Rebel

avatar
Having tested this, personally, I use a setting of 4. When printed, you cannot see any visible difference between a 4, 8, 10 or 12. I have tested this on cheap printers and on higher end printers and there was no visible difference --- but sure have saved a lot of space.

17 Re: Saving PU papers on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:22 pm

coppercurls

avatar
Thanks Lisa, I really hate to have 2+Mb papers. I never did get around to running a test. Since Julie's doing the hybrid videos now I've kind of wondered if my paper were high enough quality.

http://web.me.com/rhardegree/Coppercurls_Digi-Life/Home_Page.htm

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Post new topic  Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum