E-Scape and Scrap

Forum of the shop

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can I Vent?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Can I Vent? on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm so very discouraged right now. AND frustrated. I gave away a "sampler" on my blog WITH a promotion for a coordinating kit. I 'bout fell off my chair this morning when I actually checked and there had been 536 hits on the free download and do you know that not ONE sale from the coordinating kit.
AND what's even worse............only 4, count 'em......4 thank yous on the comments.
I'm sitting here feeling so useless as a designer and truly TRULY thinking about giving it all up and just doing my own thing with my own photos and scrapbook albums.
What a WASTE of so much time designing and trying to do something nice for people and then be slapped like that.

tsk. tsk. tsk. I'm so sad.

2 Re: Can I Vent? on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 pm

Cheryl M wrote:I'm so very discouraged right now. AND frustrated. I gave away a "sampler" on my blog WITH a promotion for a coordinating kit. I 'bout fell off my chair this morning when I actually checked and there had been 536 hits on the free download and do you know that not ONE sale from the coordinating kit.
AND what's even worse............only 4, count 'em......4 thank yous on the comments.
I'm sitting here feeling so useless as a designer and truly TRULY thinking about giving it all up and just doing my own thing with my own photos and scrapbook albums.
What a WASTE of so much time designing and trying to do something nice for people and then be slapped like that.

tsk. tsk. tsk. I'm so sad.

I know that feeling, Cheryl, and I'm sorry that you're feeling that way! Crying or Very sad I wish I could be face to face with you and assure you that you are not useless as a designer, and if you really love designing, and your heart is truly in it, then this will pass, as all upsets eventually do, and you can continue doing what you enjoy.

I'm guessing that you don't do freebies very often... that is always the way of it, search engines scout out the freebies and compile lists for others to find them and there are many, many, reasons why people may not leave a comment so I wouldn't take it personally (I don't myself as I have browser issues and it never works for me so I stopped trying). I myself, try to respect my work and I keep in mind that if I'm giving something away free, that's what I'm doing, I don't take on any expectations and I am grateful for the few who do take the time to leave a comment.

Again, I'm sorry you're feeling down, I'm sending you hugs.

3 Re: Can I Vent? on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 am

It can be discouraging but like Rose said, it's not personal. Actually when I make a freebie, I think of it as a promotional tool rather than a give away, so I'm not disappointed when I don't get the thanks. Now the sales, yes, I would like to get the sales but I know not all advertising works immediately. Sometimes people put it on their wish list for when they have the money and you don't realize that the sale that comes a month of two later is a direct result of this freebie. That said, I do think the digital scrapbooking world has too much free stuff available and that makes it harder to sell our designs. When I first started scrapbooking, I went for months just using freebies and learning before I committed any money. Now, I spend way too much!

4 Re: Can I Vent? on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:08 am

amplantier wrote:It can be discouraging but like Rose said, it's not personal. Actually when I make a freebie, I think of it as a promotional tool rather than a give away, so I'm not disappointed when I don't get the thanks. Now the sales, yes, I would like to get the sales but I know not all advertising works immediately. Sometimes people put it on their wish list for when they have the money and you don't realize that the sale that comes a month of two later is a direct result of this freebie. That said, I do think the digital scrapbooking world has too much free stuff available and that makes it harder to sell our designs. When I first started scrapbooking, I went for months just using freebies and learning before I committed any money. Now, I spend way too much!

I see it the same way as a way to promote my designs, and 4 comments would make me happy Laughing I try to look at it the way that, if I have many downloads, loads of peeps likes what I do, and feel happy with that.
And I can see on my sales reports that the ones I advertise is the ones that sell, maybe not now, but then later.
So keep up your spirit, Cheryl, you are a great designer, and the 500+ downloads tells you that Very Happy

5 Re: Can I Vent? on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:43 am

Thank you ladies. I needed that! And Sus, I guess you're right about the number of downloads. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't download, right?
Thank you all for giving me an attitude adjustment! I love you

6 Re: Can I Vent? on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Cheryl M wrote:Thank you ladies. I needed that! And Sus, I guess you're right about the number of downloads. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't download, right?
Thank you all for giving me an attitude adjustment! I love you

Sometimes we all need that Very Happy

7 Re: Can I Vent? on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 am

Julie Mead

Sorry you feel so down, Cheryl. When the boutique has freebies in it we do get a few thank yous. There are certain customers who are my fave because they always say thanks. Sometimes I get customers that never buy a thing, they just grab the freebies and run. Then they seem to be the ones that gripe the most when I don't get their freebie released quick enough for them. Fortunately those people are far and few between.

Maybe you could include a fantastic coupon code to your store in your TOU reminding customers to take a look and find the special offer in your freebie. Maybe that would get them into your store and at least looking around.

Everyone has their own point of view about freebies. I think if you look at them as a way to get your name out then it's money spent on advertising not time. Again: Do not think of it as a waste of your time but rather money spent on advertising.

I will be addressing advertising in a separate post.

8 Re: Can I Vent? on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks Julie. I'm going to try the coupon in with my freebies and also post a coupon on my blog.

9 Re: Can I Vent? on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Rebel

Cheryl, don't let it get you down. I think we have all been there. Forget about the "thank you" part of it. There are many reasons why people don't. One good reason which I understand is that they don't want to have to "sign up" at a site/blog/service/ etc. just to say "thank you".

Before this horrendous "economy" thing, I sold a lot but since then it is much more difficult. Of course the economy is not the only thing to blame. People are offering freebies [including HUGE theme scrapkits] everywhere. They are also learning to create their own.

Try not to look at this as a "job" - only a handful are able to support themselves with designing and no other source of income. We do this because we LOVE it. We need to keep improving our style, creativity and most important - the QUALITY - all while enjoying ourselves.

It will come. Be patient. Maybe not this month or next or even this year, but stick with it and it will come. Designers are quitting daily - shops are closing - these are the ones that thought they were going to make "tons" of money overnight. It does not work that way - the ones that stay around are the ones that will be here when the next new "fad" comes along.

Lisa

10 Re: Can I Vent? on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Rebel wrote:Cheryl, don't let it get you down. I think we have all been there. Forget about the "thank you" part of it. There are many reasons why people don't. One good reason which I understand is that they don't want to have to "sign up" at a site/blog/service/ etc. just to say "thank you".

Before this horrendous "economy" thing, I sold a lot but since then it is much more difficult. Of course the economy is not the only thing to blame. People are offering freebies [including HUGE theme scrapkits] everywhere. They are also learning to create their own.

Try not to look at this as a "job" - only a handful are able to support themselves with designing and no other source of income. We do this because we LOVE it. We need to keep improving our style, creativity and most important - the QUALITY - all while enjoying ourselves.

It will come. Be patient. Maybe not this month or next or even this year, but stick with it and it will come. Designers are quitting daily - shops are closing - these are the ones that thought they were going to make "tons" of money overnight. It does not work that way - the ones that stay around are the ones that will be here when the next new "fad" comes along.

Lisa
Hi Lisa, sweet of you to offer support here but I'm afraid that Cheryl will never read it. Neutral Not only is this thread a year old, but Cheryl is not longer a member of our group.

FYI - Wink whenever/wherever you see posts by 'Guest' that means the original poster is no longer a member of our forum.

11 Re: Can I Vent? on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Rebel

Too funny, I read the date wrong and thought she was back! I need to get more sleep!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum